[vorbis-dev] beats/mixing (was: Metadata, file signatures, and extentions)

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Wed Apr 12 07:16:06 PDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Scott Manley wrote:

> > I want to be able to store the location of beats.  If I could do this, I
> > figure I could create software that would be better than any human DJ at
> > mixing.

> I was looking at this a while ago too, it generally requires user
> intervention to initially setup the beatmarkers correctly, but - yes I
> would like to encode mixing and cuing information into a track.

I was really excited when I heard of the dancing visual plugin for xmms.
I thought somebody figured out a way to automate it or something, and
usable info was there.  But when I finally got around to installing it, I
realized it was just based off of audio cues (bass/mid/treble volume), and
really had nothing to do with the beat.

Yes, I realize I'd have to go through all of my songs and manually mark
them up.  But I think it would be quite worth it.  And I think the process
of marking the beats could be made much easier with software created
specifically for that purpose, that would guess at beat locations based on
bass, etc (similar to what the dancing xmms plugin does).