[vorbis-dev] beats/mixing (was: Metadata, file signatures, and extentions)

Scott Manley spm at star.arm.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 01:58:55 PDT 2000

> I want to be able to store the location of beats.  If I could do this, I
> figure I could create software that would be better than any human DJ at
> mixing.
>
> You could calculate the Beats Per Minute at the end of a song, randomly
> select another song within a set range different from the current one, and
> modify the speed of play of the two so that they match, fade the next song
> in, fade the 1st song out, then restore the 2nd song's speed to what it
> originally was.  Flawlessly, never ever missing a beat.
>
> Then put in a real time playlist editor that continuously selects the next
> song randomly, or will allow you to queue up selections.
>

> So how difficult would it be ?

I was looking at this a while ago too, it generally requires user intervention to initially setup the beatmarkers correctly, but - yes I would like to encode mixing  and cuing information into a track.

Scott Manley (aka Szyzyg)                           /------ _@/ Mail -----\
 ___         _   _     __  __           _           |  Armagh Observatory |
http://star.arm.ac.uk/~spm/welcome.html       |__/  \=====================/