[vorbis-dev] beats/mixing (was: Metadata, file signatures, and extentions)

Darxus darxus at Op.Net
Tue Apr 11 12:27:11 PDT 2000

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Monty wrote:

> id3v2 will not be a part of Vorbis.  Ogg bistreams allow mixing streams of any
> type, and there will be an XML stream type defined for metadata.  This is a
> better solution than id3 in just about every technical sense.  The Ogg
> bitstream code to support this already exists.

I want to be able to store the location of beats.  If I could do this, I
figure I could create software that would be better than any human DJ at
mixing.

You could calculate the Beats Per Minute at the end of a song, randomly
select another song within a set range different from the current one, and
modify the speed of play of the two so that they match, fade the next song
in, fade the 1st song out, then restore the 2nd song's speed to what it
originally was.  Flawlessly, never ever missing a beat.

Then put in a real time playlist editor that continuously selects the next
song randomly, or will allow you to queue up selections.

So how difficult would it be ?