[vorbis-dev] Metadata, file signatures, and extentions

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Apr 10 22:46:11 PDT 2000

I need to get this one into the FAQ.

> 	I've been working writing some tools that deal with id3v2 tags on mp3
> files.  id3v2 is this really, really long specification with places for
> all kinds of metadata for media.
> 	I've looking at the sample vorbis encoder and a file I made from it I
> noted that you have some a comment field, and I was wondering if you had
> any plans to support more metadata, and if you would consider adding
> id3v2 as your metadata format.

id3v2 will not be a part of Vorbis.  Ogg bistreams allow mixing streams of any
type, and there will be an XML stream type defined for metadata.  This is a
better solution than id3 in just about every technical sense.  The Ogg
bitstream code to support this already exists.

The comment fields in the Vorbis header are only for text comments, not
arbitrary metadata.

> 	Also: what is the file extention used for vorbis files?  .vor?

This is in the FAQ.  .ogg

Monty