[vorbis-dev] xmms plugin features and bugfixes

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Apr 10 22:56:18 PDT 2000

> I don't have access to any SMP machines on which I can build/use xmms, so
> that's something I can't really test. More detailed bug reports would be
> appreciated.

We can give you access to any of our MP boxen.  snotfish.xiph.org is a modest
multiprocessor CPU server.

> I also looked through the plugin source, and as far as I can see it's
> locking everything where it needs to. I suspected that it might be worth
> locking the vorbis_ip struct (the main plugin struct), but none of the
> other input plugins do anything like that, so that doesn't look like a
> worthwhile avenue of investigation.

Note that two threads of execution may *not* enter an ov_xxxx() call that uses
the same OggVorbis_File struct.  Even calls that appear only to be reading
attributes can cause side effects.  Entering different structs independently is
OK.

Monty