[vorbis-dev] xmms plugin features and bugfixes

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Apr 10 22:21:02 PDT 2000

At 08:06 AM 4/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> Haven't seen precisely that, but I did at one point get frequent complete
>> freezeups. Recompiled xmms with debug info (I had been using the debian
>> package) so I could find out what was going wrong, and the problems went
>> away entirely.
>
>That definately sounds like locking issues.
>
>jack.

Well, some further digging suggests not. I could not get my current build
to crash/freeze/fail in any way.

Then went back to the original version I had been using (the debian
package) with which I had seen some failures. Still couldn't get it to fail
in any way - so I guess that was just a temporary bug somewhere.

The result - it does NOT fail on my uniprocessor machine no matter what I do.

I don't have access to any SMP machines on which I can build/use xmms, so
that's something I can't really test. More detailed bug reports would be
appreciated.

I also looked through the plugin source, and as far as I can see it's
locking everything where it needs to. I suspected that it might be worth
locking the vorbis_ip struct (the main plugin struct), but none of the
other input plugins do anything like that, so that doesn't look like a
worthwhile avenue of investigation.

For the moment, I'm out of ideas. If anyone HAS seen this and wants to walk
through some possible fixes with me, I'm on #mp3encoder now.

Michael