[vorbis-dev] xmms plugin features and bugfixes

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Apr 10 23:15:24 PDT 2000

At 10:56 PM 4/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>> I don't have access to any SMP machines on which I can build/use xmms, so
>> that's something I can't really test. More detailed bug reports would be
>> appreciated.
>
>We can give you access to any of our MP boxen.  snotfish.xiph.org is a modest
>multiprocessor CPU server.

I have access to SMP boxen, that's not a problem. On the other hand, my
connection here is a beefy 33.6kbps.
Debugging stuff over that is not fun at the best of time. Debugging stuff
that uses X over that? I've done X over a modem before - NEVER AGAIN! ;)
Thanks for the offer, though.

>> I also looked through the plugin source, and as far as I can see it's
>> locking everything where it needs to. I suspected that it might be worth
>> locking the vorbis_ip struct (the main plugin struct), but none of the
>> other input plugins do anything like that, so that doesn't look like a
>> worthwhile avenue of investigation.
>
>Note that two threads of execution may *not* enter an ov_xxxx() call that
uses
>the same OggVorbis_File struct.  Even calls that appear only to be reading
>attributes can cause side effects.  Entering different structs
independently is
>OK.

Yep, they're all locked. I checked that again just then. However, it does
call ov_info() (inside a properly locked section) and then reads from the
vorbis_info struct that gets returned from that when outside the locks.

>From what I understand of the code, that SHOULD be ok, but I'm not certain.
I can lock those too, if you think that's neccesary.

Michael