[Video at Xiph] Portuguese subtitles for Episode 1

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 08:32:03 PDT 2010

> I believe there is a potentially huge audience in Brazil that would be
> interested in this series, so I decided to try and make the
> translation of the English subtitles. I do work with and teach signal
> processing (mainly audio, but some image too) so I believe the
> translation is technically reliable.

Excellent, thank you!

> There are two points though about
> which I would like to get your advise:
>
> 1) There are lots (and I mean LOTS) of English expressions that are
> currently in use in Brazilian academic and professional circles, and
> although time and again someone comes with a theoretically sound
> translation, it often doesn't catch on. The net result is that by
> trying to override one of these English expressions one surely loses
> half the audience. That said, I used the tags <i> and </i> to
> highlight such expressions as "streaming", "browser", "aliasing" or
> "clipping" that are not part of the language. Since I didn't see any
> of those in the original subtitles, I wonder if there is a reason for
> it; maybe they are not widely compatible? Anyway, just say the word
> and I remove those tags.

I'm not actually personally sure how SRT is supposed to handle markup;
my guess was that it works in a bunch of places, but the support isn't
official.  I'll check if no one chirps up.

But I fully agree that a translation should be the one that is a)
technically correct and b) most accessible to the viewer, so idiomatic
translation is appreciated.

> 2) On subtitle #187, I believe that only 8-bit _linear_ PCM was meant
> in the sentence "Eight bit audio is vanishingly rare today", so I
> translated accordingly. If this is not the case, you may just remove
> the "linear" that I added to that sentence in the translation.

The subtitles were written to match the speaker as exactly as
possible.  A few mostly minor errors did creep into my presentation.

> That's it! The language of the subtitles is "Português (do Brasil)".
> It also works perfectly fine for viewers in Portugal, Angola,
> Moçambique, Cabo Verde and some other countries (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_language). I wouldn't call it
> simply "Português" mainly because of some of the unavoidable slang.

Agreed, idiomatic localization is important.

I'm at a conference right now and don't have good internet
connectivity; I'll be able to upload the subtitles and update our
streams when I return on Tuesday.

Monty