[Video at Xiph] Question about how your video got created ...

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:49:30 PST 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Monty Montgomery <xiphmont at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> Cortdao TRAC seems to be fairly old:
>> https://code.fluendo.com/flumotion/trac/browser/cortado
>> I am not sure where to find the 'newest' applet (or its SRC):
>> code="com.fluendo.player.Cortado.class">
>> Is there a newer location, that I should look into?
>
> Hopefully Greg will chime in to answer that, but Xiph took over
> Cortado development some years ago, so the Fluendo reposity is
> probably quite out of date by now.

The cortado page is now at http://www.theora.org/cortado/

It includes links to recent builds as well as our source code repository.

If you plan on building cortado from source you should process the
result with Proguard (http://proguard.sourceforge.net/). It was just
recently brought to our attention that the documentation included with
cortado fails to mention this, although a proguard configuration is
included.

On the subject of embedded subtitles: It appears that the HTML+SRT
technique that we used is the emerging norm for HTML5 video. At least
so far browser vendors have declined to implement support for subtitle
streams encoded in the video file. I find this unfortunate because the
subtitles are likely to get separated when the file is saved, but
otherwise it works fairly well.

Please feel free to hit us with any additional questions you have.