[Video at Xiph] Question about how your video got created ...

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:56:11 PST 2010

> I was wondering, if you or some other
> technical guru over at xiph.org, or "Monty"
> would be able to give us a "clue" as
> to how he or she was able to superimpose
> those SRT formatted files, onto the video,
> in a single .

in a single... ?  I think some words got cut off :-)

It was done two ways.  For the browsers that can use HTML5, I overlay
a transparent div using HTML and CSS.  The script in srt.js loads the
appropriate subtitle file, parses it, watches the video playback
timer, and fills the transparent div with the appropriate text at the
appropriate time.

For the [majority of] browsers that do not support HTML, video
playback uses the Cortado applet, and cortado implements its own
subtitles internally.  It uses the subtitles in the video file itself
(whereas the HTML5 solution is using a seprarate .srt file).

> Cortdao TRAC seems to be fairly old:
> https://code.fluendo.com/flumotion/trac/browser/cortado
> I am not sure where to find the 'newest' applet (or its SRC):
> code="com.fluendo.player.Cortado.class">
> Is there a newer location, that I should look into?

Hopefully Greg will chime in to answer that, but Xiph took over
Cortado development some years ago, so the Fluendo reposity is
probably quite out of date by now.

Monty