[tremor] Support for ARM ASM with non GNU based tools

marc dukette dukette at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 7 09:58:05 PDT 2002

Hi,
I am looking at using Tremor on a PocketPC device, and actually I have it
working, however the Microsoft ARM compiler does not support embedded ASM
for the ARM platform.  What are the chances that as Tremor goes forward
someone could move the Assembly based routines into seperate .asm files
rather than using embedded asm.  I can and have been able to convert even
GCC based ASM files for use with Microsoft ARM compiler, but have never
successfully been able to convert GCC based inline ASM.  There appears to be
some proprietary syntax used.  Does this buy you something over using
seperate standard ASM.  I have had similar issues with the MAD MP3 decoder
and the original Fixed Point(Nicolas Pitre) version of this library.  Sorry
if this is a stupid question, but I have only limited experience with the
GNU toolset, and am by no means an expert in ARM assembly.

BTW

ARM assembly aside(since I am not using it with either version), I must
agree with Nicolas Pitre that his Fixed Point version is significantly
faster on ARM and xscale than the current Tremor release.  I have also not
found a single stream that his library has any problems playing.  Granted,
on PocketPCs it is much harder to hear distortions than on PC systems.