[theora] NHW Project - speed comparison with x265

fboehm fboehm at aon.at
Thu Nov 30 10:58:08 UTC 2017

Hi Raphael,

since quite a while I'm reading your updates on your NHW project with
great interest.

I have to admit I'm no video codec developer. My interest in video
codecs is pretty simple. Several years ago I was working on a
(non-commercial) video streaming project that I wanted to base on an
open-source video codec. Those I was constantly scouting for open source
video codec innovations.

I appreciate your enthusiastic work on such a complex project like
writing a video codec. As you already realized it's similarly
challenging to attract other people to join or use a new video codec.

What I unfortunately can say for sure is, that it's almost impossible to
attract mobile/semiconductor industry to embed such a codec into their
chipsets. Instead you have to find some other (maybe niche) use-case
where your codec works well and can blossom. As an example, maybe some
sort of decentralized/peer-to-peer Internet enthusiasts would enojy
using your codecto develop some sort of open-source alternative to Skype.

To make a long story short: to gain more publicity you really have to
create a website with visual presentations of your codecs quality. And
please, please, please present your results in an appealing way. In the
base case use a javascript-image-slider effect. Example:

https://codyhouse.co/demo/image-comparison-slider/index.html

And of course it would be great if Xiph could host your demo website.

All the best,
Franz