[theora] Fwd: NHW Project - speed comparison with x265

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 13:23:40 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raphael Canut <nhwcodec at gmail.com>
Date: 2017-11-30 14:22 GMT+01:00
Subject: Re: [theora] NHW Project - speed comparison with x265
To: fboehm <fboehm at aon.at>

Hi Franz,

Many thanks for your answer!!!

> I appreciate your enthusiastic work on such a complex project like
writing a video codec

Yes, for now the NHW codec is more an image codec actually, would need to
add inter frame mecanism (motion estimation, motion compensation) to the
codec to become a real video codec.The NHW Project is more a
proof-of-concept in its currents state to validate for example the wavelet
transform, the multistage residual coding, the compression schemes, and
other processings, that are new and royalty-free.Do you think I can have a
freelance contract with minimum salary to do this, because completing and
finishing the codec will require me full-time work.

> Instead you have to find some other (maybe niche) use-case where your
codec works well and can blossom. As an example, maybe some sort of
decentralized/peer-to-peer Internet enthusiasts > would enojy using your
codecto develop some sort of open-source alternative to Skype.

Would be just great to find a use-case for the NHW codec! If you and/or
other Xiph community members would know such potential use-case,
niche-case, do not hesitate to let me know!

> To make a long story short: to gain more publicity you really have to
create a website with visual presentations of your codecs quality. And
please, please, please present your results in an
> appealing way. In the base case use a javascript-image-slider effect.

Yes the NHW Project lacks a good website with good visuals.But I won't be
able to do this website alone...

As you suggest, maybe Xiph.org wants to host and help with the NHW Project
website? -Would be just great!-

Again thank you very much for your kind help, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Raphael