[theora] NHW Project - some advice

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:35:51 UTC 2017

Hello,

Ok that's right HEVC and AOM AV1 are better than the NHW codec, even at mid
compression.I only tested my codec with quite neat images, hence the good
results, but on more blurred, more compressed images, HEVC and AOM AV1 are
definitely better, they are also exceptionnal at high compression.

So, yes that's right, the NHW codec has very little chance to penetrate the
market, it is still royalty-free and a lot faster to compute, which _are_
good advantages and it can be still improved.

That said, it will be very difficult to find a company or an organization
that would like to sponsorise the NHW Project.-Again I don't have time to
work currently on the project and I feel that this year will be crucial for
its "success" after 7 years of existence...-

What would be the best approach to find a sponsor? All I can say is that
the NHW codec has some innovations: new wavelet transform, new multistage
residual coding, new compression schemes, some new processings, it has the
best results on "well-defined" images (not blurred, not already
compressed), it is royalty-free, and it is the fastest.

Again if you would know a company that could be interested in the NHW
Project and the creation of the 1.0.0 version, it will be difficult, but do
not hesitate to let me know.I am willing now to switch to full-time to the
project (and stay reassured I absolutely don't ask a big salary)!

So the call is launched and any advice is very welcome!

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael