[theora] NHW Project - 2017 timetable

Raphael Canut nhwcodec at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:22:12 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Just a quick message for those interested in the NHW Project.I realize that
I have too little time to spend on the project currently and I feel that
this year will be very important after 6-7 years for its success or not.I
already had some few replies from some companies (and a major one), and
they can not spend some time, spend some engineers on my work because there
is no "commercial context" for the NHW project now.

So I would like to spend more time on the project and I would like to let
know the community, the readers that if you are a company interested in the
NHW Project and you want to see it finished (1.0.0 version), do not
hesitate to contact me if you want to sponsorise me, give me a freelance
contract,... There are some important parts to be done: like testing new
wavelet transforms like directional, (edge-) oriented wavelets, some
advanced and state-of-the-art improvements to the compression schemes (for
wavelet DC image, wavelet coefficients and residual coding), new
quantization scheme, new YUV420 down/upsampling, container format,....

For now, I don't have the time to do all this, but if you want to see it
done (that I work full-time on it) and can sponsorise me (via Xiph.org if
you want) do not hesitate to contact me.
If you didn't find time to test the codec and  want to see some results, I
can also upload on my demo page some images compressed with the NHW codec
and compressed with x265 at the same ratio (not AOM AV1 for now) that shows
that NHW has more neatness, and HEVC has more precision, but in this case
the results are better with NHW (neatness is more improtant), also do not
hesitate to let me know.

Again, I feel that this year will be very important for the NHW codec (else
I fear that it will disappear), so if you have any interest in the NHW
project, do not hesitate to contact me and we'll see how we can work it out.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael