[theora] HD webcam bitrate

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 13:55:46 PST 2011

It's offtopic, but in the interest of correctness in case this thread
show up in someone's search results.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Leo Izen <leo.izen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Jason Self <jason at bluehome.net> wrote:
>> Tom Sparks <tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au> wrote ..
>> > I am looking at getting a HD webcam, I am wondering what is the bitrate
>> > of
>> them?
>> > Can they be used with a 12Mb/s USB ports?
> USB 2.0 (which came out YEARS ago and is supported on anything more powerful
> that a toaster) supports USB at 480 Megabytes a second. That is WAAAY more
> that 12 Mbps. I even think USB 1.0 is faster than that.

Low-speed usb 1.1 is 1.5 mega_bits_/sec, USB 1.1 ("Full bandwidth") is
12 mega_bits_/sec, and USB 2.0 ("Hi-Speed") is 480 mega_bits_/sec.

This is ignoring various overheads, which are rather considerable.