[theora] Cortado status controls in IE6

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 01:10:12 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:55 AM, informatique Mille babords
<informatique at millebabords.org> wrote:
[snip]
> bad news is that it's even Bigger than Java installer  : 20MB :-(
> But after this installation, Your website ( and most big google websites )
> appear as fast as in Chrome.

Chrome is a very big hammer— and the theora support is very spotty at
times... I'd personally prefer to encourage people to install Firefox
if we're going to browser install route, though it's not as cute a
hack as the chrome frame.

There is, however, an even better targeted solution.  The Ogg
directshow plugins include an activex implementation of the video tag.
It needs some slightly special markup to activate it.  It's still very
new and feature complete but it has been advancing at a reasonable
pace.  There is an older announcement for it here:
http://cristianadam.blogspot.com/2010/02/ie-tag-take-two.html  (but it
has since advanced, and now has controls and such).

Unfortunately we basically only have one windows developer and
Cristian has been doing a great job, but this is a lot of work for a
single person.