[theora] CPU with integrated GPU

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu May 20 06:11:43 PDT 2010

On 05/20/2010 08:43 AM, Richard Watts wrote:
> Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>
>> On 05/19/2010 12:48 PM, John Kintree wrote:
>>
>>> I was reading recently that a modern CPU can execute 10 billion instructions
>>> per second, while a modern GPU can execute 1 trillion instructions per
>>> second.  Intel anticipates that by the 1st quarter of 2011, more than 80% of
>>> their market will be i3 and i5 chips which have an integrated GPU.  Does/will
>>> theora make use of this for encoding and decoding video?
>>> Regards,
>>> John Kintree
>>>

>> That's a great idea!  Now we just need someone to implement it.  ;)
>>
>   Funny you should mention that :-)
>
>   If anyone (else) is planning to get an OpenCL implementation for VP8
> (and indeed Theora) up and running, I'd be interested to hear - we
> were planning on having a go for our own nefarious STB-related purposes,
> but an open-source version would be ideal (and something we'd
> be prepared to contribute to).

Richard,

I'm not sure if you've followed the posts where I've blatantly
advertised /Libre Video/ (librevideo.org), but I actually intended that
website to be a resource for, amongst other things, developers such as
yourself to collaborate on free software implementations of royalty-free
codecs for hardware purposes.  The site is still in its infancy, but let
me know what you think about that, and what I can do for you and others
like you to facilitate truly free-and-open hardware-accelerated
implementations of codecs such as Theora, VP8, and so on.