[theora] CPU with integrated GPU

Richard Watts rrw at kynesim.co.uk
Thu May 20 05:43:42 PDT 2010

Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 12:48 PM, John Kintree wrote:
>> I was reading recently that a modern CPU can execute 10 billion instructions
>> per second, while a modern GPU can execute 1 trillion instructions per
>> second.  Intel anticipates that by the 1st quarter of 2011, more than 80% of
>> their market will be i3 and i5 chips which have an integrated GPU.  Does/will
>> theora make use of this for encoding and decoding video?
>> Regards,
>> John Kintree
>>
> That's a great idea!  Now we just need someone to implement it.  ;)

  Funny you should mention that :-)

  If anyone (else) is planning to get an OpenCL implementation for VP8
(and indeed Theora) up and running, I'd be interested to hear - we
were planning on having a go for our own nefarious STB-related purposes,
but an open-source version would be ideal (and something we'd
be prepared to contribute to).