[theora] Video Comparison

Franz Böhm fboehm at aon.at
Sat Jan 30 07:09:41 PST 2010

Hi,

the Theora videos look good and play quite well under Ubuntu 9.10 with
Firefox 3.5.7. Also CPU load is smaller while playing the Theora videos.

I would be interested if you transcoded from some raw videos with higher
resolution that you got from Golem.de or if you used the finished H.264
Flash videos that can be seen online? Of course this would affect the
resulting Theora quality.

The only problem I noticed are some glitches with the Theora videos (not
audio) so the video didn't played as smooth as with Flash player. But I
think it's because Firefox is new in playing videos and there is room
for improvement.

I also don't like that online videos always prebuffer until the end.
This could lead to some bandwidth shortage and video disruption when you
test one video after the other without waiting long enough.

Regards,
Franz