[theora] Video Comparison

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:57:51 PST 2010

Good one!

There's actually only one H.264 video and the others are all VP6.
Theora does seem a little more blurry on faces, but I think it is
really comparable on anything else.

Funnily, in Firfox, the Flash videos keep stalling and not catching up
with playback, while the Theora videos play through nicely after the
initial buffering. If all of them are hosted in Germany, then they do
have a long way to go to reach me here in Australia, so that might be
a major reason.

Other than that, I think it's a worthwhile effort and should show
those nay-sayers what the difference really is. BTW: My standard reply
to those who claim that Theora has worse quality that H.264 is "how
many videos have you encoded into Ogg Theora before now?".

Cheers,
Silvia.