[theora] Video Comparison

yorn at gmx.net yorn at gmx.net
Sat Jan 30 01:57:00 PST 2010

Hey all,

I have followed a thread on golem.de, which was about an article regarding mozillas reasons, not to include h264 and to prefere theora instead.

In the forum there was much talking about a lot of nonsens (as usual). But there is still a huge and loud number of people believing that theora has a significant worse quality compared to h264. Most test material I found does not focus real live videos, so the comparison does not reflect the user experiences. So I decided to use good quality web videos. The videos on golem.de have a much better quality than nearly all videos available through youtube.

Therefor I ask the guys at golem.de if I can use their videos for an ogg/theora transcoding, and they agreed.

Then I created the following page:

http://dev.streamnik.de/80.html

I want to make this page as user friendly as possible, so I need your feedback. Are the videos working for you? Do you have any problems? Which?

What I found is, that chrome is not able to play the video correctly.

Actually I am not using mvEmbedd, as I have not full access to the typo3 installation. Therefor I use the externaly available cortado player.

-Yorn