[theora] Bad news from Google

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Jan 21 14:53:01 PST 2010

On 01/21/2010 05:03 PM, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On 1/21/2010 1:34 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
>> Given how many Firefox users there are out there, it wouldn't surprise
>> me if they are doing (or planning) the transcode.
>>
> I wouldn't assume it.  Chris DiBona already used hyperbole to describe
> Theora and he probably reflects current thinking inside of Google.
>
> It's pretty sad that they are doing this since they had the opportunity
> to do something good for the web and for video.  They could have been
> the chicken and the egg.  Their actions speak larger than their brand on
> this front.
>
> We'll see what they do with On2.  Lots of speculation on that front
> (even from us!) but we won't know until they close the sale.  It's all
> just guessing until that happens.
>
> --Chris

Thanks for chiming in and sharing your thoughts on this, Chris.  I have
to say, I'm not thrilled with the state of things as they seem on the
surface.  I am hoping for the best, but I think the battle for freedom
is a continuous one, and I'm glad to see Mozilla on our side, now and,
hopefully, always.  Openness is not equal to freedom, and it's the
latter that matters in the long run.

--
      Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org