[theora] Bad news from Google

startx startx at plentyfact.org
Fri Jan 22 13:13:56 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:53:01 -0500
Basil Mohamed Gohar <abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org> wrote:

> Thanks for chiming in and sharing your thoughts on this, Chris.  I
> have to say, I'm not thrilled with the state of things as they seem
> on the surface.  I am hoping for the best, but I think the battle for
> freedom is a continuous one, and I'm glad to see Mozilla on our side,
> now and, hopefully, always.

i am of course not suprised about google, as others pointed out it seems
to fit with their recent promotion of chrome.

however, i wonder what will happen if h.264 streaming licence fees will
be really enforced at some point in the future (somebody mentioned 2011
as a specific date, can you give a source for that?). of course google
won't mind to pay the fees, but if the licence is really enforced,
theora will become the choice of non commercial websites (and hopefully
there will be a real alternative to youtube one day)

and afterall, as with standards like VHS (decades back) it will be
interesting what all the porn websites (especially youporn) are going
to do. :)

startx