[theora] Bad news from Google

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 21 14:03:17 PST 2010

On 1/21/2010 1:34 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> .
>>
> Given how many Firefox users there are out there, it wouldn't surprise
> me if they are doing (or planning) the transcode.

I wouldn't assume it.  Chris DiBona already used hyperbole to describe
Theora and he probably reflects current thinking inside of Google.

It's pretty sad that they are doing this since they had the opportunity
to do something good for the web and for video.  They could have been
the chicken and the egg.  Their actions speak larger than their brand on
this front.

We'll see what they do with On2.  Lots of speculation on that front
(even from us!) but we won't know until they close the sale.  It's all
just guessing until that happens.

--Chris