[theora] video tag options

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Jan 18 18:11:02 PST 2010

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:

> When videos start using it for subtitles or overlays, which happens
> when players are widely available, which happen when... damn :)
> I guess distro packagers will always take the easy route first when
> faced with a new dependency though, that's understandable.

I use to package for Fedora.
A bug report from a user would usually get me add support for whatever,
but sometimes that would mean I would have to package the dependency and
get it approved as well (as static linking violates packaging guidelines
for most distros).

I don't know about deb based distros, but for RPM based distros, if
upstream provides a clean generic RPM spec file that doesn't use a bunch
of distro specific macros it usually is easier to get someone to
volunteer to maintain the dependency, and then the packages that depend
upon it can be built against it, though some packagers wait until the
next release of the distro before they add library dependencies.

If you need a clean generic RPM spec file, I could probably whip one
together on my CentOS system. Kate looks neat, I have a deaf brother,
that kind of thing is very much appreciated by him.

I do not maintain packages for any distro anymore though (I stopped
using Fedora, switched to CentOS for server and Ubuntu for Desktop, and
haven't found Ubuntu to be lacking anything I need)