[theora] FFMPEG2THEORA 0.26 / BIG Theora testing / BUG in players or Lib

Stefan Gürtler mail at stefan-guertler.de
Mon Feb 22 08:01:04 PST 2010

dos386 schrieb:
> I tested the new FFMPEG2THEORA 0.26 and some players.
>
> 1. Biggest bug:
>
> http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/temp/push5tru.zi7
>
> encodes into
>
> http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/temp/push5tru.ogv
>
> the problem: it doesn't play well. MPLAYER reacts very badly, reports
> "invalid frames" and HANGS (known issue ???). But in VLC there is also
> a problem, less severe:
>
> http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/temp/bugyhand.png
>
> (see shot, bad colours, +1 bug of VLC) - the hand moves to the right
> but there is a "relict" in the middle. The original file has also a "relict"
> there but much smaller. FireFOX apparently plays this well.
>
> So bug of VLC or LibTheora ?
>
> 2. VLC 1.0.5 bugs (I don't like this player, sorry)
>
> * See 1. - maybe VLC bug
> * Duration of OGG files still not fixed (WtF at 1.0.5 ...)
> * Very bad sound from Vorbis codec (not from other codecs)
> * The GUI is strange and buggy
> * Crashes or "strange effects" in various circumstances
> * Very poor video quality is certain circumstances ("noise grid")
> * Steals seconds at movie begin and end
> * Bad colours in screenshots
> * probably more, no exhaustive search done
>
> 3. FFMPEG2THEORA issues:
>
> * silently overwrites existing output file (not bug, but bad behavior)
> * progress indicator strange and not very informative, reports "est
> size -0.0 MP" (minor)
>
> 4. Firefox 3.6 issues:
>
> * buffering problems
> * controls depend from JS
> * behavior not good if video bigger than screen
> ### the only one with correct duration handling (visible only if JS on) ???
>
> 5. Opera 1.50 Beta
>
> Does it work for anyone ? For me still not ...
>
> 6. MPLAYER bugs:
>
> * "offset" is ignored (well known)
> * "nonstandard" subsamplings not supported, looks strange (well known)
> * See 1. - behaves very badly, hangs, looses frames (?)
>
> Anyone has "access" to MPLAYER developers or Bugzilla ?
> Is this going to get fixed ?

This is a problem with the ogg parser. The people having worked on the
mplayer ogg parser are Diego Biurrun and Reimar Döffinger. You can look
up their mail addresses on the mplayer devel mailing list or contact
them via that mailing list.
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/

But be aware that work on mplayer demuxer has mostly stopped, as those
of the ffmpeg framework are favoured nowadays.
Having scanned through the histories of the ogg decoder and parser files
at
http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=tree;f=libavformat;h=4e513e0594ede6afa1767454b7698d2b02f758c2;hb=HEAD
i would suggest to contact David Conrad.
Kontact address may be taken from
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2010-February/082997.html
When contacting via ffmpeg-devel mailing list, please read
http://www.ffmpeg.org/contact.html carefully and do avoid top posting
and thread highjacking.

Yours
Stefan