[theora] FFMPEG2THEORA 0.26 / BIG Theora testing / BUG in players or Lib

Lino Mastrodomenico l.mastrodomenico at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 05:33:47 PST 2010

2010/2/22 dos386 <dos386 at gmail.com>:
> http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/temp/push5tru.ogv

Bug: Apache on this server reports the "Content-Type" of this file as
"text/plain", while the correct value is "video/ogg".

A quick fix for people that don't have root access to the Apache
configuration is to add in the same directory of the *.ogv file or a
parent directory a text file called .htaccess (the file name starts
with a dot) with the line:

AddType video/ogg .ogv

Pay attention not to overwrite any existing .htaccess file!

To test this, don't trust the information window in Firefox: it will
always reports the correct MIME type even if the server doesn't.

Use instead wget or "curl --head" from the command line or services
like <http://web-sniffer.net/> (I suggest changing the "Request type"
from GET to HEAD, to save bandwidth).

Does Opera work when this is fixed? Additionally try loading the video
indirectly from an HTML page with code like this:

<video autoplay controls src="push5tru.ogv"></video>

> the problem: it doesn't play well. MPLAYER reacts very badly, reports
> "invalid frames" and HANGS (known issue ???).

My version of mplayer (the one from the Ubuntu package mplayer-nogui
2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu19, that's pretty old and with lots of patches, but
none directly related to Ogg and Theora AFAICT) doesn't hang but it
shows 24 times messages like this one: "Invalid frame duration value
(18.876/0.000 => -18.876). Defaulting to 0.066 sec.". It's mostly
around 12.7, 17.3 and 18.9 seconds. No error messages at all before
12.6 seconds (frame 191 or something).

And my mplayer version does report wrong durations for Ogg videos:
1436.62 seconds for this file.

> But in VLC there is also
> a problem, less severe:
>
> http://freefile.kristopherw.us/uploads/temp/bugyhand.png
>
> (see shot, bad colours, +1 bug of VLC) - the hand moves to the right
> but there is a "relict" in the middle. The original file has also a "relict"
> there but much smaller. FireFOX apparently plays this well.

The bad colors in VLC seems due to a RGB/BGR mixup or something. I see
*exactly* the same "hand relict" in mplayer and Firefox 3.6, maybe
it's more noticeable in VLC because it gets the colors completely
wrong?

> 3. FFMPEG2THEORA issues:
>
> * silently overwrites existing output file (not bug, but bad behavior)

Most command line programs do that by default.

> 4. Firefox 3.6 issues:

On the plus side Firefox now supports full screen playback of Theora
videos (right click -> fullscreen).

ciao

--
Lino Mastrodomenico