[theora] FFMPEG2THEORA 0.26 / BIG Theora testing / BUG in players or Lib
dos386 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 02:21:54 PST 2010
I tested the new FFMPEG2THEORA 0.26 and some players.
1. Biggest bug:
the problem: it doesn't play well. MPLAYER reacts very badly, reports
"invalid frames" and HANGS (known issue ???). But in VLC there is also
a problem, less severe:
(see shot, bad colours, +1 bug of VLC) - the hand moves to the right
but there is a "relict" in the middle. The original file has also a "relict"
there but much smaller. FireFOX apparently plays this well.
So bug of VLC or LibTheora ?
2. VLC 1.0.5 bugs (I don't like this player, sorry)
* See 1. - maybe VLC bug
* Duration of OGG files still not fixed (WtF at 1.0.5 ...)
* Very bad sound from Vorbis codec (not from other codecs)
* The GUI is strange and buggy
* Crashes or "strange effects" in various circumstances
* Very poor video quality is certain circumstances ("noise grid")
* Steals seconds at movie begin and end
* Bad colours in screenshots
* probably more, no exhaustive search done
3. FFMPEG2THEORA issues:
* silently overwrites existing output file (not bug, but bad behavior)
* progress indicator strange and not very informative, reports "est
size -0.0 MP" (minor)
4. Firefox 3.6 issues:
* buffering problems
* controls depend from JS
* behavior not good if video bigger than screen
### the only one with correct duration handling (visible only if JS on) ???
5. Opera 1.50 Beta
Does it work for anyone ? For me still not ...
6. MPLAYER bugs:
* "offset" is ignored (well known)
* "nonstandard" subsamplings not supported, looks strange (well known)
* See 1. - behaves very badly, hangs, looses frames (?)
Anyone has "access" to MPLAYER developers or Bugzilla ?
Is this going to get fixed ?
More information about the theora