[theora] An Open Letter To Google

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Feb 22 20:01:58 PST 2010

On 23 February 2010 06:19, Christopher Blizzard <blizzard at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 02/22/2010 01:18 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> Note that In my blog post I do not assume that Google will free VP8 -
>> I discuss it because others are asking for it, in particular the FSF,
>> and regard it as the save-us-all. I am skeptical of that.
>>

> It is gonna take a while to spin up tooling, assuming they do it at
> all.

The On2 purchase also includes support for OpenMax IL, DirectShow,
GStreamer and Symbian MMF plugins, and VHDL for (at least) VP6. The
surrounding technology is more mature than it was for VP3, so if they
wanted to change the game then they could do so fairly quickly.

Of course it also involves these things for H.264, which is relevant
to Google's current products.

Conrad.