[theora] Fwd: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 5 19:16:14 PST 2010

Remco wrote:
> Still, something is missing for the mobile crowd.

Yep.  We need player apps: just simple wrappers around theorarm [1] or
libtheora to play Theora videos.  I don't think any of these phones have a
way to install browser plugins, and I doubt Flash 10 will be fast enough
for Theora-in-Flash on a handheld ARM chip, so apps are the best we can
do.   At least with a player app users can download a file and then view
it, or copy a URL and watch it in the app.

If you want, you could call it a "Wikivideo app", since Wikipedia uses
Theora exclusively.

So poke your nearest friendly iPhone/Android/Palm WebOS/Windows
Mobile/Symbian developer and see if they want to write a Theora player
app... and if you have one of those devices, consider doing it yourself.
It shouldn't be hard.

--Ben

[1] http://wss.co.uk/pinknoise/theorarm/