[theora] Fwd: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at mozilla.com
Fri Feb 5 23:19:50 PST 2010

On 2/6/2010 4:16 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> Remco wrote:
>
>> Still, something is missing for the mobile crowd.
>>
> Yep.  We need player apps: just simple wrappers around theorarm [1] or
> libtheora to play Theora videos.  I don't think any of these phones have a
> way to install browser plugins, and I doubt Flash 10 will be fast enough
> for Theora-in-Flash on a handheld ARM chip, so apps are the best we can
> do.   At least with a player app users can download a file and then view
> it, or copy a URL and watch it in the app.
>
> If you want, you could call it a "Wikivideo app", since Wikipedia uses
> Theora exclusively.

Yeah, I'd like to echo this.  Ubiquity is the important thing.  And
stuff that brings access to large numbers of users to good content is
the key thing.  We've got Firefox, Chrome, XiphQT for Safari, Java for
IE, now some Silverlight thing.  Over the last couple of weeks I've
watch Christian Adam slowly convince himself that he wants to work on a
very simple native plugin for IE users that could cover basically
everyone.  And I love the iPhone and Android app ideas.

I guess I feel like it has to be more than libraries at this point - we
need to branch out a bit and move into apps where the library strategy
doesn't work.

--Chris