[theora] Fwd: [whatwg] Suddenly, ~40% of IE users get HTML5 Theora with no effort

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Fri Feb 5 18:56:18 PST 2010

On 02/05/2010 09:34 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Remco <remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, that kills any motivation I had to port Cortado to Flash.
>> Luckily I haven't wasted a lot of time. Of course, Flash has a higher
>>
> Yeech!
>
> Flash would still be very very good.  Right now people will say, "I'd
> like to use theora but because of flash, h264 just has the market
> share", they'll still say that with the silverlight port.
>
> Silverlight may be just as good from a future real penetration effect,
>  but Flash would be important for knocking out a headline argument for
> not using Theora.

I have to agree 100% here.  We have no idea how well Silverlight will
work into the future.  I didn't read the linked article yet, either
(blame years of /. conditioning), so I don't know if this is already
covered, but we don't even know what the user experience of people will
be with Silverlight-powered Theora.  However, we have a good idea of
what the Flash experience with general web video is.

--
      Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
http://www.basilgohar.com/blog