[theora] Theora patent question

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 22:29:12 PDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 8:39 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> That is a page of links to third-party sites that may have QuickTime
> components available for download. None of those components ship with
> QuickTime. I don't think it's accurate to describe linking to a
> download site as "distribut[ing] the technology".

That page says, "As part of the QuickTime component download program,
users will automatically receive the On2 VP3 QuickTime Component the
first time a VP3-encoded video is requested."

Even if it's third party software, that description makes it sound
like QuickTime will happily grab it over the internet automagically
when it is needed.

Could that be done for Theora? A QuickTime implementation is already
available to deploy at [1] and if Apple's willing to do it for VP3,
why not Theora? Theora is the successor to VP3 anyway.

[1] http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/