[theora] Theora patent question

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Oct 10 20:39:17 PDT 2009

On Oct 10, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> [1] With Apple's past anti-theora fud it may be easy to miss the fact
> that they have continuously distributed the technology for a very long
> time: http://www.apple.com/br/quicktime/resources/components.html

That is a page of links to third-party sites that may have QuickTime
components available for download. None of those components ship with
QuickTime. I don't think it's accurate to describe linking to a
download site as "distribut[ing] the technology".

By the way, I sent some questions in early July about some of the
details of Theora's IP status:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-July/002415.html
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2009-July/002418.html

Perhaps the Google-On2 acquisition has caused some delay in getting
these questions answered, but I have not seen a response.

Regards,
Maciej