[theora] Theora patent question

Shayne Wissler wissler at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 22:54:34 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Chris Double
<chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Shayne Wissler <wissler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here is a blog entry from 2007 discussing the potential "submarine
>> patent" problem as it related to Theora:
>>
>> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/12/video-element-and-ogg-theora.html
>
> I'm not sure what your point is by pointing out the submarine patent
> issue. All software really suffers from it. Submarine patents by
> definition are completely unknown. Even H.264 and other codecs
> potentially suffer from it.

The special problem Theora has relative to H.264 is that it is
untested. Submarine patents for H.264 would likely be in play at this
point given its widespread use and consequent huge revenue potential.
But for Theora, they might be waiting for its commercial use to
explode; a troll that came out know might be just as likely to kill
Theora as gain any revenue.

But none of this bears directly on my original question in this thread.

Shayne