[theora] Theora patent question

Shayne Wissler wissler at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 22:25:43 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> It wasn't my intention to offend you.  I must have misunderstood the
> repetition of your hypothesis after it was refuted by others, and the
> apparent hostility towards Jason ("Have you ever actually read any
> software patents")

It's always offensive when you pretend to crawl into someone else's
brain and know what's in there. That was the first hostile act here,
by Jason and then you, and that is what motivated my "hostile"
remarks. it's best to stick with comments about the issue, not
pretended knowledge about the motivations of the person.

On that issue, I certainly am no lawyer or expert, I say what I know
to the best of my knowledge, in the hopes that it is corrected if it's
wrong. I think the best way for it to be corrected is to be clear
regarding what my opinion is. Don't mistake it for dogma. If my
opinion didn't change, then perhaps I made an error reading, or
perhaps I wasn't convinced, but you can always ask why not instead of
making an unwarranted assumption.

Shayne