[theora] Broken Theora integration in FFMPEG

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:41:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM,  <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
> It depends where you're getting your build of ffmpeg2theora.  It seems
> like half of ffmpeg's support for various formats appears to be broken
> or dodgy at any given time, and the fact that ffmpeg2theora is using
> ffmpeg to decode before reencoding to theora means you're beholden to
> ffmpeg whichever way you go.
>
> Monty

As to ffmpeg2theora, I'm using version 0.24 from http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/

When using FFmpeg proper, I'm using their recent version 0.5 and have
found that it does decode the 5.1 audio correctly. IIRC, older
versions needed liba52, to do this correctly (although I may be wrong,
since it's been a while.) However, FFmpeg 0.5 no longer needs this
(indeed... the configure command barfs when you try because
enable-liba52 is no longer a valid option during compile.)

According to the changelog ffmpeg2theora, was bumped to ffmpeg 0.5 on 3-12.

It appears that the FFmpeg versions are the same in each case, so it
seems to me that the output should be the same as well.