[theora] Broken Theora integration in FFMPEG

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue May 19 14:29:18 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Jason Self <jason.self at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:54 PM, <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
>>
>> ffmpeg's Ogg mux support is broken anyway.
>>
>> In the meantime, you could try ffmpeg2theora, which uses ffmpeg as a
>> swiss-army-knife front end and then bolts that output onto our own
>> encoders.
>
> Interesting; I was not aware of this of this. ffmpeg2theora appears to
> have problems decoding the 5.1 audio that I get with my local HD
> programming (mentioned on this list in March.) ffmpeg proper is fine
> so I'm not sure what ffmpeg2theora is doing differently. I'd given up
> on ffmpeg2theora as a result, but there appear to be issues either way
> you go? (Choose between broken Ogg mux support or broken 5.1 audio
> decoding?)

It depends where you're getting your build of ffmpeg2theora.  It seems
like half of ffmpeg's support for various formats appears to be broken
or dodgy at any given time, and the fact that ffmpeg2theora is using
ffmpeg to decode before reencoding to theora means you're beholden to
ffmpeg whichever way you go.

Monty