[theora] Broken Theora integration in FFMPEG

j at v2v.cc j at v2v.cc
Wed May 20 02:39:20 PDT 2009

On 05/19/2009 11:41 PM, Jason Self wrote:
> As to ffmpeg2theora, I'm using version 0.24 from http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/
>
> When using FFmpeg proper, I'm using their recent version 0.5 and have
> found that it does decode the 5.1 audio correctly. IIRC, older
> versions needed liba52, to do this correctly (although I may be wrong,
> since it's been a while.) However, FFmpeg 0.5 no longer needs this
> (indeed... the configure command barfs when you try because
> enable-liba52 is no longer a valid option during compile.)
>
> According to the changelog ffmpeg2theora, was bumped to ffmpeg 0.5 on 3-12.

sampling 5.1 to stereo is broken in 0.5, or there is no api for it.
there was a patch on the list to fix this in libavcodec, this patch is
not in svn, i will however apply it to the next version of ffmpeg2theora
that i release. if you compile it yourself, apply
<http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/ffmpeg2theora/patches/6to2channel-resample.patch>
to ffmpeg before compiling.