[theora] Seamless web video within reach

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Wed Jul 29 06:49:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Silvia
Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Denver Gingerich<denver at ossguy.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Silvia
>> Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And I am still hoping for a native Ogg Theora/Vorbis ActiveX control ...
>>
>> Doesn't the VLC control fulfill that requirement?  Unless you mean a
>> control that only does Theora/Vorbis.  It shouldn't be too hard to
>> make such a control by ripping out the unneeded codecs from VLC.
>
> oggcodecs already provides most of what the ActiveX control needs, so
> it would be a simple extension to oggcodecs. This will probably make
> for a much more stable ActiveX control than VLC. It's definitely
> easier to maintain.

By "oggcodecs" do you mean the DirectShow filters?  I suppose adding
an ActiveX control would work.  Otherwise, the user experience is too
complicated for most.

I wasn't aware of the stability issues with the VLC ActiveX control.
If you think that writing a new ActiveX control for the DirectShow
filters would be much better, then perhaps that's the route to take.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/