[theora] Seamless web video within reach

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:42:25 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Denver Gingerich<denver at ossguy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Silvia
> Pfeiffer<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 20% of 60% still gives us 12% of all Internet users that can't play
>>> Theora.  That's pretty big and not very competitive with Flash
>>> deployment.  This is the main reason I'm hoping to get the VLC ActiveX
>>> control in better shape.
>>
>> And I am still hoping for a native Ogg Theora/Vorbis ActiveX control ...
>
> Doesn't the VLC control fulfill that requirement?  Unless you mean a
> control that only does Theora/Vorbis.  It shouldn't be too hard to
> make such a control by ripping out the unneeded codecs from VLC.

oggcodecs already provides most of what the ActiveX control needs, so
it would be a simple extension to oggcodecs. This will probably make
for a much more stable ActiveX control than VLC. It's definitely
easier to maintain.

Cheers,
Silvia.