[theora] Seamless web video within reach

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Jul 28 15:32:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Michael Dale<mdale at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I am presently just recommend Firefox over the install process of VLC..
> Since if you have to download and go though an install process might as well
> be firefox (instead of a plugin)  But if the solution you describes works
> pretty well _in a pure in-browser sessions_  then I think it would be worth
> while integrating into the library. Or maybe give users a choice on mouse
> over?

I had assumed that installing an ActiveX control would be similar to
automatically downloads, installs, and plays (all in-browser).  Or is
this not the case?  I don't have a Windows machine handy to test.

> I also had bad early experiences with VLC. Although it performs better than
> cortado in IE in terms of start up-time and overall responsiveness of the
> system. The IE activeX seems to crash slightly less than sun java (at least
> in my virtual machine instance of windows XP anyway)

This is good to know.  I haven't done extensive testing with either so
I didn't know how palatable they would be for users.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/