[theora] Re: [dyne:bolic] Concerning the (correct) use of Theora in FreeJ

Fabio fabio.ped at libero.it
Thu Jan 24 01:50:27 PST 2008

> Neither Theora nor h.264 have yet
> reached their practical efficiency limits, and we should expect
> continuing improvement from both for several more years.

On your document here:
http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/theora/demo.html

you show the result of the improved rate managemet in the theora codec. Can you tell which are the encoders that produced the two video matrix-580.ogg and matrix-55.ogg? I thought the first was the codec from theora trunk, and the second that of an old revision of theora-thusnelda. Also, is the original .y4m of the matrix movie available for download for testing?

I tried some revision of theora-thusnelda encoder (including the last one), but seems that its quality is still lower than current theora trunk codec.