[theora] Re: [dyne:bolic] Concerning the (correct) use of Theora in FreeJ

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jan 24 13:56:57 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:50 AM, Fabio <fabio.ped at libero.it> wrote:

> you show the result of the improved rate managemet in the theora codec. Can you tell which are the encoders that produced the two video matrix-580.ogg and matrix-55.ogg?

Matrix 55 and 580 were both slightly modified mainline running with
some canned settings.  'Canned' in the sense that I rigged the demo by
using internal settings that I knew would work well for the Matrix
clip, not code that knew enough to make those settings automatically.
That, of course, is the real work.  None of the demo clips came from
Thusnelda.

> Also, is the original .y4m of the matrix movie available for download for testing?

No, for obvious reasons.  I'll tell you it's a straight rip of chapter
28 of the matrix DVD de-letterboxed and scaled to 640x272 (to be
identical with the test clips DOOM9 likes to use).

> I tried some revision of theora-thusnelda encoder (including the last one), but seems that its quality is still lower than current theora trunk codec.

In SVN right now, thusnelda is half way to getting new mode selection
code and is mostly choosing block coding modes randomly.  It is not a
stable branch, and will not even build most of the time.  It's merely
my own personal SVN sandbox for now.  When enough of the changes are
stable, they'll go to mainline.

Monty