[theora] subpictures in Ogg (was: Misc: handycam raw to ogg / DVD to ogg)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Feb 14 10:15:29 PST 2008

On 14-Feb-08, at 1:19 AM, Tim Müller wrote:

> How about subtitles in DVD-like subpicture form? I'd love to add
> subtitle support to Thoggen, but it seems to me that there's simply no
> way to do this in a Xiph-approved manner yet.

Yeah, we need to get that in gear, not least because they're
essential for accessibility if we're serious about being a baseline
web format.

I'd say though that the designs for CMML text and MNG overlays for
are pretty much done as far as subtitles go. After the discussions at
FOMS/LCA in January I know everything except what to call some of the
Skeleton message headers. So if you're up for implementing it, please
implement it. We'll probably discover some infelicities on the way,
but someone has to be first.

  -r