[theora] subpictures in Ogg (was: Misc: handycam raw to ogg / DVD to ogg)

Tim Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 01:19:49 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 15:24 +0000, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> > ... aswell as the benefits of the  matroska container (multiple
> > audio tracks, subtitle > tracks...).
>
> I personally have little against Matroska, but the benefits you
> mention are now also possible in Ogg through the extension called
> Skeleton, which we are asking all implementers out there to support
> it.

How about subtitles in DVD-like subpicture form? I'd love to add
subtitle support to Thoggen, but it seems to me that there's simply no
way to do this in a Xiph-approved manner yet.

Last time I checked OggMNG looked pretty much dead in the water and
OggSpots was still in draft stage. Are there plans to finish either one
in the near future, or is there a third way that I'm missing? (Other
than running OCR software on the subtitle pictures, that is)

 Cheers
  -Tim