[theora] theora streams from 23C3

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Jan 2 10:20:13 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 11:11:47AM +0000, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> Oh, and don't use .ogm.  That's a hack to allow MPEG 4 video on an Ogg
> container. You can read more on Wikipedia.

You're confusing "OGM" the format with '.ogm' the file extension. The
23C3 files are properly muxed Ogg files using only free codecs, so
they're fine. But what people put in a container format isn't something
you can enforce by changing the extension.

> P.S: Ralph, I'd like to have your support.  At least, I hope you'll
> expand on your MIME idea I've seen mentioned on this list some time.
> I for one find it a pretty good solution to avoid MIME type
> identification problems.

Not really. Speex does use .spx but I remain unconvinced we need a
stable of alternate extensions. I think using disposition-type from the
rss hinting proposal is a great idea though.

 -r