[theora] theora streams from 23C3

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 03:11:47 PST 2007

All official formats under the Ogg project use the extension .ogg, not
ogm.  Unfortunately this causes a lot of confusion around the
Internet.  I'm going to propose on Xiph's next meeting that every
project (Speex, Flac, Vorbis, Theora, etc) specify a secondary
extension besides .ogg, so that hw/sw players start recognizing other
extensions.

The idea will be that a Theora stream may be on .ogg or .video, and
the software will recognize both extensions.  And with some luck, this
will help adoption of Ogg formats, and cause less confusion.

Oh, and don't use .ogm.  That's a hack to allow MPEG 4 video on an Ogg
container. You can read more on Wikipedia.

Best regards,
Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves

P.S: Ralph, I'd like to have your support.  At least, I hope you'll
expand on your MIME idea I've seen mentioned on this list some time.
I for one find it a pretty good solution to avoid MIME type
identification problems.