[theora] Re: Extension .v+ogg does work

Hannes Hauswedell hannes.hauswedell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 08:02:25 PDT 2006

hi everyone,

since creating a new extension only causes more confusion (and
maintaining a file-format is additional work), why not dump the
ogg-container for video-files altogether and use matroska (.mkv)
instead?
this format is already gaining wide acceptance with combinations of
vorbis+xvid or vorbis+x264 and there are some rippers (like ogmrip)
that already produce vorbis+theora inside mkv.
matroska has many benefits, it has proper chapter und subtitle support
and will in future also support menus and stuff like that.
why not concetrate on making the video codec and let them take care of
the container?

greetings

hannes